Fishing has a way of bringing people together, from bonding with friends and family to enjoying some solitude and the great outdoors. But let’s not forget the humor that often accompanies these adventures!
In this article, we’ve compiled 35 funny fishing quotes that will make you chuckle and remind you of the lighter side of fishing. From witty one-liners to philosophical musings, there’s something here for everyone. So, sit back, relax, and reel in some laughs!
Hilarious Fishing Quotes
Quotes by Famous People
- “The best time to go fishing is when you can get away.” – Robert Traver
- “Fishing is a… discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish.” – Herbert Hoover
- “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” – Steven Wright
- “I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.” – Nick Lyons
Unknown Author Quotes
- “Fishing: a jerk on one end of the line, waiting for a jerk on the other.”
- “A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.”
- “Give a man a fish, and he’ll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.”
Fishing and Life Lessons
- “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a fishing pole, and that’s pretty much the same thing.”
- “Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it’s not the fish they are after.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.” – John Buchan
Witty Fishing One-liners
- “I only fish on days that end in ‘Y.'”
- “Good things come to those who bait.”
- “Work is for people who don’t know how to fish.”
Philosophical Fishing Quotes
- “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles.” – Doug Larson
- “The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t.” – Patrick F. McManus
Inspirational Fishing Quotes
- “There is no greater fan of fly-fishing than the worm.” – Patrick F. McManus
- “Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.” – Herbert Hoover
Fishermen’s Tall Tales
- “An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won’t let him do it at home.” – John Barrymore
- “Carpe Diem” does not mean “fish of the day.” – Author Unknown
- “The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.” – A.K. Best
Fishing with Friends and Family
- “There are two types of fisherman – those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.” – Author Unknown
- “Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.” – Harry Middleton
- “If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.” – Zane Grey
Fishing and Love
- “I love fishing. You put that line in the water, and you don’t know what’s on the other end. Your imagination is under there.” – Robert Altman
- “My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.” – Koos Brandt
Fishing and Relaxation
- “Fishing is a hard job. Fishing at night. Rain. Day, night. You have to be wise and smart. And quick.” – Mariano Rivera
- “Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.” – Author Unknown
Catch and Release Quotes
- “The gods do not deduct from man’s allotted span the hours spent in fishing.” – Babylonian Proverb
- “There is no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn.” – Author Unknown
Fishing and Adventure
- “Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive yet attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.” – John Buchan
- “If fishing is a religion, fly fishing is high church.” – Tom Brokaw
The Thrill of the Catch
- “To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy.” – Norman Maclean
- “Fishing is not always about catching fish; sometimes it’s about catching a break from reality.” – Author Unknown
The Fish That Got Away
- “The only thing better than a fisherman’s story is the one that got away.” – Author Unknown
- “A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.” – Author Unknown
Do you know: 100 Funny Kayaking Quotes
What are some funny quotes about fishing?
Some funny quotes about fishing include, “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot” and “Work is for people who don’t know how to fish.”
Do you have any funny one-liners about fishing?
Yes, here are a few witty one-liners: “I only fish on days that end in ‘Y'” and “Good things come to those who bait.”
Are there any philosophical fishing quotes?
Yes, for example: “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles” and “The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t.”
Can you share a funny fishing quote about love?
Certainly! Here’s one: “My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
What is a funny quote about the fish that got away?
A humorous quote about the fish that got away is, “The only thing better than a fisherman’s story is the one that got away.”
As you can see, fishing is not just a sport or a hobby, but it also has a humorous side. These funny fishing quotes remind us that laughter is an essential part of the experience. Whether you’re out on the water with friends or enjoying a quiet moment of solitude, these quotes are sure to bring a smile to your face. So the next time you’re out there, remember to reel in the laughs along with the fish.