Last Updated on January 30, 2023 by Debra
Kayaking is one of the most exciting things to do on your vacation or weekends if you are a curious person who loves to explore lakes and seashore.
But one important thing before even you go for kayaking is to transport the kayak properly without any damage. Here, some people may find it difficult to transport two kayaks in their truck or car but with the proper technique and steps, it can be done very easily.
You can carry your kayak on top of any vehicle or behind the vehicle, but you need to make sure that it is fully safe for yourself and other drivers too.
Not sure how to do it? Then read on to find out how to transport 2 kayaks without damage. We discuss here various ways to transport the kayak.
Kayak loading system
There are different ways you can load your kayak on top of your vehicle.
If you are alone then start by picking the kayak up from one end and put it on the rooftop of your car or SUV. Now, push from the other hand and it will go smoothly. Next, position it as you want it to remain.
However, if there is an extra pair of hands, then one can hold the bow, while you take the stern and put it in your desired position. Do the reverse while unloading your kayaks.
How to Transport Two Kayaks in a Truck
If you own a pickup truck, then it is good for you because you have two different ways to carry your kayaks. These are the following;
Placing It on Your Truck Bed
- The first thing you need to do is to lower your tailgate of the pickup truck.
- Then, you with the help of someone else put the first kayak.
- Before putting the second kayak on top of the first one, you should put two pool noodles or wood piece covered with nice fabrics which will not allow it to collide with each other.
- Now, you need an industrial tie-down. Wrap it from the side of the kayak so that it holds the kayaks tightly.
- Some portions of the kayaks will be outside of your truck bed so use a flag of any contrast color like a red flag that will help the driver behind you to understand you are carrying something which is very long.
- Make sure that the nose of the kayak is touching the cab of your pickup truck so that you can minimize the part which is outside of your vehicle.
- For special and good balance for your kayak, you can also use straps that have a belt on it which will lock your kayak and give you more balance even if there is heavy wind.
Extending Your Truck Bed
- If there is any hitch attachment system, then you can add an extension that is available in the market.
- You pick up the first kayak on the last part of the extension and then push it forward and it will reach the starting point of the truck bed.
- Then, you put another kayak on top of that kayak.
- Now, you use three straps and wrap it from the side to side so that it can not move freely.
- If you want to have a good and tight grip, then you can use also rope and wrap it from side to side which will ensure that it is enough tight and stable. How to Carry Two Kayaks on Pickup Truck – Cheapest Way!
Are you confused with how to transport the kayak on SUV or car? Then this is for you. We talk here two methods of transport using Roof Rack and without a Roof rack.
How to Transport 2 Kayaks Using Roof Rack
If you already have a built-in or installed roof rack on your SUV or car, then it is undoubtedly an advantage for you to transport two kayaks. The steps you should follow are:
- The first thing you need to do is to place the straps on your roof rack.
- Make sure that your straps are long enough to complete your task and the buckles are strong enough to give a tight grip on your kayaks.
- Put two straps on each crossbar of the rack and after that bring the straps in the middle of the bar.
- Make sure both front and rear straps are in alignment with the front windows and rear windows.
- Now, put the first kayak and then throw straps over it and tighten it up very well from side to side.
- Depending on the shape of your car, you will adjust how the kayak is going to sit on top of the car.
- Then, you put the second kayak on top of the first one and position it the same as the first kayak.
- Now again, throw the straps over the kayak and buckle it down tightly.
- This time, have a good inspection on both kayaks whether these are fitted and fixed tightly.
- If you think you need to again reposition the kayaks then you loosen the straps and adjust according to your own preference.
- At this point, if you feel these are perfect to go for a long 200+ mile drive and there is no risk for driving then you are done with it. See below for more details.
How to Transport 2 Kayaks Without a Roof Rack
This is most probably the toughest way to load your kayak on top of your car or SUV. Because there is no existing system here that will allow you to directly put your kayak and go for the drive. Things are a bit different when you do not have a roof rack.
Follow the steps below to transport kayaks without a roof rack;
- First of all, you need to buy pool noodles which are usually flexible and durable enough to put your kayak on top of that.
- You need to cut the pool noodles according to the size of your car. Three pool noodles would be enough to place your kayaks.
- After placing the noodles, you need to run the straps through the hole of the noodles and then through inside of your vehicle; definitely through the open door of your car.
- Now, lift the first kayak and put that on top of the pool noodles and make sure that the middle part of the kayak is sitting on the middle pool noodles.
- Do not forget to keep the seat or upper side of the kayak on the pool noodles by flipping it over.
- Now, you can buckle up the straps by throwing them over the kayaks and giving it a knot inside the car. If there remain extra straps, try to tie it with something to prevent it from rolling from one side to another.
- Make sure you are not over-tightening the straps which may cause damage to your kayaks that might hamper your kayak’s performance.
- The kayaks are now in a position where it will not move very easily from side to side, but you need to make sure it is not slipping off when you have to pose a sudden break on the high roads. So, you need to tie the front part of the kayak using straps on the front side of your vehicle especially under the hoods.
- Next, you need to again tie the back part of the kayaks with the carry handles of the backside.
- Now, you need to recheck the straps and position of the kayaks and roll on for the kayaking session. See here…
A Few Additional Tips
You really need to understand that whenever you are driving your pickup, SUV, or car with kayaks on top of that or behind, you really need to be much more careful. Because weather can turn from a normal condition to a very hostile form. So, careful driving is a must in this case.
Whether you like it or not, you can not drive at a very high speed when you are carrying kayaks. You need to drive at a moderate speed to avoid any kind of accidents.
It would be better if you recheck your straps 2-3 times before you reach your destination by stopping your car on the side of the highway. You also have to be very careful that the kayaks are not obstructing your driving view.
If you do not properly put the kayak on the center of the top of your car, then you might have problems while driving due to the unclear vision.
I’d like to reemphasize that if you are driving on an uneven road, you must recheck your straps frequently because the jerking of the car can easily loosen up the straps. You might be interested in Best Cheap Fishing Kayaks under $300.
Now that you know how to transport kayaks on your vehicle, you shouldn’t have any problem in the future.
By following the steps I mentioned above, you can easily achieve your desired results. However, if you still come across any difficulties, you can let me know in the comments section. I’ll get back to you asap.