Last Updated on November 1, 2020 by Debra
While height and weight play a vital role in selecting a kayak, it does not directly affect the size of our kayak. Choosing a rightly matched kayak for a taller guy sometimes worthy. Excepting a lot of variation in a different kayak normally, the perfect kayak size for 6ft person is 12-14 ft where kayak types belong to recreational or sea kayak.
We gathered the bulk of knowledge on kayak length for height chart, stay with us. It will lead to an entire solution to your frequently asked question-
What size kayak do I need for my height?
Kayak Size For 6ft Height Person
Manufacturers describe kayak volume in term of how much room are there available inside any particular kayak. The kayak comes basically in three forms- low, medium, and high volume.
You can find those specific models (low, medium, high) in any kayak types such as recreational, touring, Sit on top, etc. Hence, if you are looking for a recreational kayak, you will find it’s three formats.
- 5-minute setup lets you spend more time on the water
- Easy-to-carry backpack system turns into the seat
- 24-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- Tarpaulin bottom and polyester cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Airtight System is guaranteed not to leak
Larger paddlers have an issue with their longer legs often. Here a high-volume kayak has sufficient space to accommodate it. On the other hand, smaller paddlers are genuinely flexible with lower volume kayak as this version kayak contains a lower deck, so it’s easy to have contact with their hips and thigh braces.
But the matter of sorrow, this volume chart provided by manufacturers doesn’t work well. Sometimes things appear a little bit confusing. Suppose, according to height for a 6ft person; a high-volume kayak is pretty well. But if this guy is skinny, come around 165-170 pounds, which put him in a medium volume kayak. Then which would be a better option for this taller guy?
Well, I’d prefer to high volume rather than medium volume Because it won’t cramp my long legs; sitting in a comfortable position will add extra happiness to paddling. Additionally, you need to add a bit of weight in the hatches for easy maneuvering.
I can add also you need to check kayak volume very carefully because you may feel one manufacturer medium volume kayak like another manufacturer’s large volume kayak.
- INFLATABLE BOAT: The Intex Excursion 5 inflatable boat is suitable for up to 5 adults and has a 1300 pound capacity making it great for boating or fishing with friends. NMMA and U.S. Coast Guard certified; Water craft for lakes and mild rivers
- FEATURES: 2 inflatable seats with backrests are included for comfort and seating stability provides superior back support for boating and fishing. Fishing and relaxing have never been easier with the 4 built-in fishing rod holders and gear pouch
- MOUNTING: Fittings for a motor mount are included for the flexibility of adding a trolling motor (motor and motor mount sold separately) with 2 grab handles on each bow and an all-around grab line are provided for your convenience, as well as welded on oar locks and oar holders
- BOAT DESIGN: Designed with heavy-duty, puncture resistant PVC for comfort and durability, and an inflatable I-beam floor for rigidity. With 3 air chambers including an inner auxiliary chamber inside the main hull for extra buoyancy and safety
- INCLUDES: The easy to store and carry package includes the Excursion 5 boat, 2, 54-inch aluminum oars and an Intex high-output pump for easy inflation and deflation, repair patch kit and carry bag. Boat weighs 57 pounds and dimensions are (LxWxH): 144 x 66 x 17 inches
What size kayak do I need?
Long vs. shorter kayak
If you are looking to a kayak for surfing or paddling at the indecent condition, you need a shorter kayak. Those kayaks generally suggested for recreational activity. If you want a good speed with better proficiency, a slightly longer kayak will truly fulfill your demand. Normally, peoples are used to exploring or touring with this type of kayak.
Wide vs. Narrower kayak
Kayak width is proportional to the stability of a kayak on the water. The wider the kayak’s width, the calmer the kayak. Additionally, it offers paddling or fishing in a standing position.
But wider kayak does not mean an extended width as it makes your paddling troublesome through poor tracking and low speed.
On the contrary, for rapid speed a narrower kayak is prominent. It performs absolutely well in both smooth and choppy water conditions. Look at this general length and wide chart for different categories of kayaks.
The weight capability of a kayak is another most crucial factor in selecting the right size kayak. Paddling will become cumbersome if your boat is overweighed.
Kayak’s expertise suggests that- sum up your bodyweight by adding 150lbs and using that total weight to determine what weight capacity you need in a fishing kayak.
But if you are willing to use the kayak for recreational activities, then add an extra 100 lbs to your bodyweight to find your kayak’s perfect weight capacity.
It seems that almost all paddlers can adjust their feet at most standard recreational or sea kayak. Also, people who have a bigger foot like US shoe size 11 or 12 can happily rest their feet on legroom. But I suggest to check what legroom is available is that comfortable for your legs? Some long paddlers who used to kayak greater than 12 feet complain that their feet pinched due to improper space. Additionally, it would be best if you looked onto the center console also.
What kayak length do I need?
Finding the right length kayak sometimes tricky. But if you have fixed your mind on where you are going to paddling (lake, sea, or ocean) and what kind of activities you are willing to try out like recreational, surfing, touring, fishing, etc. Then it would be easier to find the right length kayak.
- White water kayaks belong to this category vastly. Those shorter kayaks have easy maneuverability.
- Absolutely perfect for children or teenagers. Those lightweight kayaks are very stable for them.
Features you may dislike:
- They have a lower speed comparatively than other size kayaks.
- Adult people could feel they are not comfortable with it.
- Easy to maneuver and It turns swiftly that’s why it does better on the narrower river.
- The recreational purpose it could be an excellent choice for kids and beginner.
- They are truly stable. Also, those kayaks are very lightweight. Anyone can transport easily through pickup or SUV.
The feature you may dislike:
- If you are taller or have a significant weight, it would not be the best option.
- Those kayaks offer effortless paddling. I could also add up those are generally decorated for stability over speed.
- Normally 10-11 feet kayak comes with a rod holder. Additionally, this category kayak decorated with more storage, which makes them an ideal boat, both touring and fishing.
The feature you may dislike:
- Sometimes, you may find those kayaks with a shorter paddle.
- They have a high proficiency in the water. Also, those longer kayak offer high speed.
- Adorned with enough space. Therefore, it provides an unusual feature of fishing or gear.
- Finally, I could say paddling with this is like free. River to the ocean at any water condition you can use it.
The feature you may Dislike:
- If they come with a hand pump needs a minimum strength to use.
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
Choosing the right size kayak for a 6ft person doesn’t depend on only height and weight. For making an enjoyable paddling, some other essential factors like legroom, storage, stability, speed, etc. need to take into account. Finally, what I should say narrow down your selection by taking consideration of the above point then finalize your decision. Have a great day on the water!